According to the February 25, 1881 edition of the Breckenridge Daily Journal, this two-story building was constructed as the Summit County Leader, newspaper office, with $1450.00 raised by the citizens of Breckenridge.
The Leader began publishing on July 31, 1880, under the firm of “Bishop and Caswell.” Charles E. Hardy took over the newspaper in 1884, and operated in until 1892. The business building was remodeled into Mrs. Charles Hardy’s residence in 1898, where she continued to reside until her death in 1919. Her daughters sold the property to W.B. Milne in 1925, and the building became known as the “Milne House” for many years.
The building stood as originally built until 1988, when a 20′ by 15′ addition was built onto the rear of the original building. In 1996 the building was lifted and a total restoration was started.